Reasons and responsibilities



It started off looking like I was entirely wrong about the Education Ministry’s embezzlement of primary school education funding, and the amount involved was a mere 100 million Shillings (see blog: “In-DFID-ent ..”). I was mortified – nay, slightly embarrassed - that perhaps I had quoted the wrong figure. I mean, 100 million Shillings is only 1.Something million Dollars! That’s a very small thing in Kenyan corruption terms. Hardly worth mentioning actually …

But now the truth is out, and it seems I didn’t mishear the original report from DFID. Yes, the education corruption scandal has seen the theft from Kenya’s kids of a mere 10 billion Shillings (only 133 million US Dollars!). I guess it is not such a small thing …

Of course, Permanent Secretary Karega pleads absolute innocence as the does the (very) Honorable Minister for Education Ongeri. Again asked their views in polled opinion on KTN, a small 83% of Kenyans say the two gents are lying about their innocence. The remaining 17% of SMS’s were probably paid for, to be sent in the Ministry’s favour.

But coming hot on the heels of this scandal comes another:  This time it involves the alleged payment to ‘Big Fish’ of various huge sums of money. This, for the vacation of (illegally ‘invaded’) land in the (now decimated) Mau Forest (land that is being reclaimed for its ecosystemic importance).

Minister of Finance, Uhuru Kenyatta, flatly denies that this payment is being effected.

But can he really be believed? He escaped, unscathed, with a 10 million Shilling ‘typing error’ in his first budget. Actually, there have been two ‘typing errors’ in his recent tenure as Minister of Finance. I cannot even remember the details of the second one. He is also accused of more recent shepherding of a ‘preferential’ tendering process in the supply of 140-something new VW Passat’s to government’s 42 Ministries (the highest number of ministries in the world).  

So I am sure his denial of Mau payments is true.

(Note: ‘Typing errors’ can occur because government is not computerized here. This due to a concerted avoidance of technologies that will permit ‘paper trails’ to be found for any and all transactions).  

But denials, and other jokes aside, I almost get the idea that the Kenya government actually pursues new scandals with great vigour. This, so that the previous scandal simply disappears from the news (as always seems to happen!). No sooner has one scandal hit the streets than another comes up. And the story of the first scandal gets lost forever in yellowed newsprint on Kenya’s kitchen shelves.

It is so easy to do here, and wouldn’t that be an amazing strategy:

Government of Kenya 101:
1.) You shall steal from the people of Kenya
2.) To get away with one huge scandal, simply create another that is even bigger!
3.) Then call on rafiki sana (our good friends), the Kenya Anti-Corruption Commission (sic), to ‘investigate the matter’.
4.) Go back to 1.)

But the point is this, really: One scandal is simply replaced by another. There’s never any follow up of these, from any quarter:

Surely, one could hardly expect honest follow up from this government. They are all in on the act.

And the KACC remains a joke for now.

But it leads me to question seriously the integrity, tenacity and investigative skill of journalists in this fair country too. And do not tell me that journalists are ‘threatened’. That is what is supposed to happen with journalists. Especially in a country that needs the ’winds of change’ (from wherever they blow) so desperately.  Journalists have a social, moral and very ‘civic’ responsibility to pursue these issues with great zeal and energy.  But I don’t see any of this here.

I used to read South Africa’s Weekly Mail (now Mail and Guardian) every week. It was a serious force for change during its early days and remains an important source of the facts in an increasingly corrupt South Africa.

Kenya? Journalists gani?

Journalists win substantial international awards and gain international recognition for serious investigative work. But I am not packing a Kenyan flag for any ceremony just yet …

 Sure, the public have a responsibility to act and agitate as well. But the channels are simply not there. Youth ‘movements’ in Kenya have historically been controlled by The State. But John Githongo says it’s all changing.

I chatted with some senior members of Bunge la Mwananchi (‘The Peoples Parliament’) the other night. They are inspired for sure. And motivated to do something.

But what?

They don’t see ‘avenues’ for expression at all. Hey, where’s the “spirit of adventure” guys? Even my simple suggestion of Kiswahili sticker-slogans - to stick on every matatu - was met with undue surprise. Come on ...

Sheesh, I remember unlawful marches in the streets. I remember baton charges on campus lawns. I saw live rounds being fired at close range. I saw friends knocked from their feet by dogs and water cannons. I remember tear gas tossed at anti-Apartheid concerts. I remember a church, wrapped up like a present, with a bow, on the bleak landscape of District 6. I remember the security police searching my red Datsun (with the letters ‘KGB’ in the number plate). I remember Terror Lekota, in hiding and ‘on the run’, staying at various safe houses in our village.

I remember, too, kitambo sana (a long time ago), when Soweto erupted, and when Steve Biko died. When David Webster was assassinated and when Neil Aggett disappeared from his house. I remember when Tokyo Sexwale was assassinated too. There were others. Sana.

But I also remember, very very well, the day that Madiba got out. And I watched it live on ITV, London. And I remember ‘coming home’ and standing for hours to vote. For the man I most admire today.

Kenya, you are “as mad as hell”. Surely.

But when will you say: “… AND WE’RE NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANY MORE!”

Kenya, anything is possible “for an idea whose time has come” …

Your time has come.

Maybe one day (as I once heard) someone will say “we’re a mile wide and a hundred people deep. Shoot me, and there will be others”.

But, right now, the journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step …

Kenya? Future gani?

Amani na upendo,

B=))

Happy Christmas all.